5.22.2004
Gremlin
It occurred to me today that Celia has the look and coloring of a Gremlin. Does anyone remember those movies? I didn't actually see them, because I had the little records that came with McDonald's happy meals, and after I listened to them, they scared me so much that my mom actually had to hide the records. It wasn't enough for me just not to listen to them any more. (I think it's the same phenomenon that makes me turn a page really quickly if it has a picture of a bug on it.) Anyway, I saw part of one of the Gremlin movies years later at my friend Carrie's house, and all I remember is that some guy put one of them through a paper shredder at his office because it was trying to kill him. Lovely, huh? Celia looks like the fuzzy, cute ones before they become disgusting monsters, but I still think it's a weird thing for me to compare her to. It only occurred to me this afternoon as she was screaming very loudly in my lap. She cries like crazy sometimes for us to pick her up and play with her, but even if she's in our laps, she'll often start her wailing, and we have no idea what she wants! It'll be good practice for babies.
She's also taken to sitting on my shoulders, especially if we're on the couch, but the getting up there part is tricky and usually involves her inflicting scratches on my arms. Once she's up there, though, it's the cutest thing, because she's this tiny warm ball of purring fluff right next to my neck and under my chin. =)
Getting the cats to like each other is slow going, but at least Celia has the good sense to back off when Patti gets upset with her. We had an amusing experience the other night while we were watching 24, though. Celia was in my lap and was perched close to the edge of the couch. Patti, in her usually cautiousness, slunk into the room, but she didn't see Celia right away because it was dark. (Apparently, her sense of smell is not stellar.) Patti came up and started sniffing my toes, which were on the edge of the sofa too, and she was about 6 inches from Celia when she suddenly saw her. What happened next can best be described as "Matrix kitty;" Patti sprung about three feet in the air and five feet backward as if someone had just pulled on a cord tied around her waist. Jack and I, being the kind, sympathetic parents we are, lost all composure immediately and had to pause the DVD because we couldn't stop laughing.
Okay, the house is way too hot. Once my bread is done baking (which I guess isn't making it any cooler), I'm going to run some errands and enjoy my air-conditioned car. We're definitely taking out a loan to replace our A/C unit; Jack spoke to the bank people yesterday, and we're going to get some estimates on a new unit next week. The guy who inspected our house told us he could put one in for $2200, but we don't know if that included labor... anyway, it won't be cheap, but we need to do it, so that's how it must be. If we had oodles of money, we'd also replace the cheap windows we have with some that are double-paned to help with the insulation, but that's not really an option right now. It's already in the 90s, and this is only May. Sheesh. Whose idea was it to move here, anyway? Oh, wait...
She's also taken to sitting on my shoulders, especially if we're on the couch, but the getting up there part is tricky and usually involves her inflicting scratches on my arms. Once she's up there, though, it's the cutest thing, because she's this tiny warm ball of purring fluff right next to my neck and under my chin. =)
Getting the cats to like each other is slow going, but at least Celia has the good sense to back off when Patti gets upset with her. We had an amusing experience the other night while we were watching 24, though. Celia was in my lap and was perched close to the edge of the couch. Patti, in her usually cautiousness, slunk into the room, but she didn't see Celia right away because it was dark. (Apparently, her sense of smell is not stellar.) Patti came up and started sniffing my toes, which were on the edge of the sofa too, and she was about 6 inches from Celia when she suddenly saw her. What happened next can best be described as "Matrix kitty;" Patti sprung about three feet in the air and five feet backward as if someone had just pulled on a cord tied around her waist. Jack and I, being the kind, sympathetic parents we are, lost all composure immediately and had to pause the DVD because we couldn't stop laughing.
Okay, the house is way too hot. Once my bread is done baking (which I guess isn't making it any cooler), I'm going to run some errands and enjoy my air-conditioned car. We're definitely taking out a loan to replace our A/C unit; Jack spoke to the bank people yesterday, and we're going to get some estimates on a new unit next week. The guy who inspected our house told us he could put one in for $2200, but we don't know if that included labor... anyway, it won't be cheap, but we need to do it, so that's how it must be. If we had oodles of money, we'd also replace the cheap windows we have with some that are double-paned to help with the insulation, but that's not really an option right now. It's already in the 90s, and this is only May. Sheesh. Whose idea was it to move here, anyway? Oh, wait...
Labels: felines, house, Louisiana
Comments:
Hahaha, I can just imagine amounts of laughing as Patti did her "Matrix kitty" move!! =) It's a good thing we have pets to amuse us. I hope you get your A/C fixed soon, it's making me miserable just hearing about it!! I can't stand being that hot inside. It was so nice to be in Vegas where it wasn't humid, and got cool at night. I think I want to go live there!!
Post a Comment
<< Home

