2.20.2005
Sun Day
Jack and I were productive citizens today. We'd been meaning for a while to lay down this black landscaper's tarp stuff that we got at Lowe's to help stop the propagation of weeds in one area of our backyard. We have a large area under a live oak that we thought long and hard about, since it doesn't support regular grass (too much shade). We ordered a bunch of low-sun plants, mostly ground cover, from Michigan Bulb Company last month, and we knew that we needed to clear out that space of all the many weeds before the plants were shipped. They ship things when they're ready to go into the ground, so my hope is that it'll be sooner rather than later! Now that the ground is ready to receive them, I want to see all my new plants. =) Anyway, we both felt very productive after all our raking and pulling of weeds and laying of tarp.
It's been a fairly routine week, but Friday was great. We had our first test in Transformation, and I found out today from the professor that I had the highest grade, a 98. Sko me! I had emailed him Friday afternoon to find out when he thought he might have the tests graded, because I felt good about it but still wanted to know whether I had actually done the things right that I thought I had done right. He wrote me back today and told me exactly which two points I missed--one of them, I knew I had missed, and the other was something I hadn't considered in framing one of my answers. In any case, it was a very well-written test; he required that we not only know the equations and definitions he had given us, but also know how to apply them and answer questions about them. A good test has the capacity to help you learn as you take it, and this one absolutely did that. It made my day!
Also adding to my elation over Transformation has been the weather of late. I love spring in February! It's sunny but not TOO sunny, warm but not humid, and I've had a chance to wear my fabulous new yellow-and-green flip flops from Payless. They're so fun. I'm going to have to find a spot on our new end of campus for productive studying in the sun. There's an amphitheater next to our old building that's really nice for enjoying sun, but I haven't seen much of anything near us except concrete benches with no backs, which aren't too comfy or even particularly inviting. Luckily, my office gets a lot of sun, so it's a nice place to be in the afternoon anyway. Now that we have spring, I wish its loveliness on everyone else in the hemisphere!!
It's been a fairly routine week, but Friday was great. We had our first test in Transformation, and I found out today from the professor that I had the highest grade, a 98. Sko me! I had emailed him Friday afternoon to find out when he thought he might have the tests graded, because I felt good about it but still wanted to know whether I had actually done the things right that I thought I had done right. He wrote me back today and told me exactly which two points I missed--one of them, I knew I had missed, and the other was something I hadn't considered in framing one of my answers. In any case, it was a very well-written test; he required that we not only know the equations and definitions he had given us, but also know how to apply them and answer questions about them. A good test has the capacity to help you learn as you take it, and this one absolutely did that. It made my day!
Also adding to my elation over Transformation has been the weather of late. I love spring in February! It's sunny but not TOO sunny, warm but not humid, and I've had a chance to wear my fabulous new yellow-and-green flip flops from Payless. They're so fun. I'm going to have to find a spot on our new end of campus for productive studying in the sun. There's an amphitheater next to our old building that's really nice for enjoying sun, but I haven't seen much of anything near us except concrete benches with no backs, which aren't too comfy or even particularly inviting. Luckily, my office gets a lot of sun, so it's a nice place to be in the afternoon anyway. Now that we have spring, I wish its loveliness on everyone else in the hemisphere!!
Labels: house, Louisiana, school
