4.20.2005
What's Your Linguistic Profile?
Your Linguistic Profile: |
50% General American English |
30% Dixie |
20% Yankee |
0% Midwestern |
0% Upper Midwestern |
Jeannette had a link to this fun web site on her blog, so I took the short quiz and those were my results. There are only 20 questions, and I think it's funny how easily mine split into 50-30-20. I am amused by the complete lack of anything Midwestern. =) Anyway, take it and post a comment with your own results!
Comments:
Blogger is not letting me use the table code from the website in this comment, but my results are:
Your Linguistic Profile:
65% General American English
20% Dixie
10% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
I skipped the question about the easy class. I don't take easy classes ;)
Your Linguistic Profile:
65% General American English
20% Dixie
10% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
I skipped the question about the easy class. I don't take easy classes ;)
55% General American English
30% Yankee
15% Upper Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Midwestern
I love it that I have zero dixie! =)
30% Yankee
15% Upper Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Midwestern
I love it that I have zero dixie! =)
My profile is almost identical to Jack's:
Your Linguistic Profile:
65% General American English
20% Dixie
10% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
(Maybe the "crip" course is Upper Midwestern, but I doubt it.)
I sure recognized some phrases used by my mother's family (ex: cellar), and my friends from other parts of the country ("kitty cornered," sack, etc.).
Mom
Your Linguistic Profile:
65% General American English
20% Dixie
10% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
(Maybe the "crip" course is Upper Midwestern, but I doubt it.)
I sure recognized some phrases used by my mother's family (ex: cellar), and my friends from other parts of the country ("kitty cornered," sack, etc.).
Mom
How fun! Mine is the same ast yours, E:
50% general American English
30% Dixie
20% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
I LOLed at the buggy question...after my first winter break (3 weeks!) in NC after coming to PSU, Steve & I were going grocery shopping and I asked if we needed a buggy. He had never heard of such a thing and looked at me like I was from MARS, asking, "what did you just call that?!" LOL! :-)
Another regional language thing I've noticed up in PA is the Pittsbugh-ish "needs" construction. Rather than "needs to be," people will say just "needs." For example, in my lab, my undergrad research assistants have left me notes that some data still "needs coded" instead of "needs TO BE coded." Isn't that weird sounding at first?! A psycholinguist even gave a talk on the cultural construction of language, using that example, here at PSU a few years ago!
50% general American English
30% Dixie
20% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
I LOLed at the buggy question...after my first winter break (3 weeks!) in NC after coming to PSU, Steve & I were going grocery shopping and I asked if we needed a buggy. He had never heard of such a thing and looked at me like I was from MARS, asking, "what did you just call that?!" LOL! :-)
Another regional language thing I've noticed up in PA is the Pittsbugh-ish "needs" construction. Rather than "needs to be," people will say just "needs." For example, in my lab, my undergrad research assistants have left me notes that some data still "needs coded" instead of "needs TO BE coded." Isn't that weird sounding at first?! A psycholinguist even gave a talk on the cultural construction of language, using that example, here at PSU a few years ago!
Just reading over what I wrote...same ast yours? LOL. Well you know what I mean, so please excuse the clumsy fingers. :-)
Well, for the record, I call it a shopping cart. =)
The strangest regional thing I learned about was one that I heard when I went on a Girl Scout trip that had girls from all over the country: the whole "Are you coming with?" thing. No object of the preposition, just "with," hanging out there by itself. Even though I've heard it a bunch since then, that was the first time, and one of my friends and I went around asking everyone on the trip what they said because we were so fascinated by the phrase!
The strangest regional thing I learned about was one that I heard when I went on a Girl Scout trip that had girls from all over the country: the whole "Are you coming with?" thing. No object of the preposition, just "with," hanging out there by itself. Even though I've heard it a bunch since then, that was the first time, and one of my friends and I went around asking everyone on the trip what they said because we were so fascinated by the phrase!
What a great quiz!! My results were...
70% General American English
15% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
Post a Comment
70% General American English
15% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
<< Home


