7.29.2005

 

A current project

Jack wanted me to entitle this post, "Sailing into Ellis Island," but that was a little too punny for me. However, it does describe the picture. This is the quilt I'm working on for Ellis, Jeannette's little bitty baby, who will like boats whether he wants to or not. =) Chris, Ellis's dad, is really into all things nautical, so I was inspired to make a quilt with a nautical theme, and using the signal flags seemed a bit more interesting than a boat pattern.



The top left starts with the letter "A," and the alphabet continues in each row from left to right until the first flag on the last row, which is "Z." After that, I had to fill in four more flags to make a nice rectangle (because 26 is a rather ugly number with which to make a rectangle), so I went with "Diver down," "Hurricane," "Dinner," and "Gale," in that order. This is going to be one learned child for many reasons, not the least of which is the brilliance of his parents, so hopefully this quilt will add to that. I'll be finished piecing it after I put a three-inch light blue border around all of these blocks, and I'm going to back and bind it with the dark blue fabric. I get to start quilting as soon as I sew the border on, but I have no idea when the quilting process will be finished! Hopefully I'll finish before the kid is out of diapers. =)

Labels:


 

Comments:

Wow, that's awesome E!!! I've been itching to make another quilt lately.. one of the guys at work is about to or already did have twins. Well, his wife, that is. ;-) And we were talking about how we should make them something. And how just because he's a male no one really thought to have a baby shower at work for him! So, maybe I can convince people to give me money to get fabric and I'll make it! Rah. I learned how to knit today too! So maybe I could knit a blanket for someone too! :-P
 
The quilt is phenomenal!! you are so incredibly clever!!!

Ellis is one lucky kid!

I can't wait to see you!!
 
Aww, thanks. =) I'm very excited about it too! I just finished quilting one block yesterday, so maybe I'll have a good bit done by the time we rendezvous in PA.

Sko on the knitting, Nicole! Knitting is cool.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

self

archives

what I read

where I go