5.23.2006

 

Jack takes a big step

Many of you have heard this already, but Jack got offered a job as an actuarial analyst with the state Department of Insurance. He had applied for this job almost 7 months ago, before he had passed the first exam, and he was starting to lose hope that they had hired someone else. Not so! His new boss emailed him a PDF of a job-offer letter, and he'll be getting about a 25% raise, which will help a ton since I won't have as much income next year.

Incidentally, I don't know yet what I'm doing next year... I have a few teaching options, and I should know more within a week or so.

We're very excited about what Jack's new job will do for him, since he'll have a lot of support with time to study, possible reimbursement of exam fees and study materials (he's not sure yet), and of course the experience of working with an actual actuary. He gave two weeks' notice at work yesterday, so his first day in his new job will be June 5. =) He had been excited about this job for months; this is excellent news all around!

I cooked a fancy dinner last night to celebrate, because I was home all day and it's fun to cook for my husband. I made stuffed portabellas with ricotta and sundried tomatoes, Champagne risotto (awesome recipe from Food Network's Giada de Laurentiis), mashed sweet potatoes, and yummy rosemary bread from the store. I had been talking to Katherine about my dinner ideas, and when she asked what I was going to do for dessert, I started thinking about Jack's recent cravings for Irish coffee and wondered whether there was a cake that would taste like Irish coffee. I ♥ Google. I got 108,000 hits. I compared the first three recipes, and they were all about the same, so I made it, and it was delicious. It's sort of like rum cake, in that you bake the cake and then douse it with a coffee/whiskey sauce so that it soaks it up, and then there's this fabulous whipped cream with whiskey that goes on top, plus chopped hazelnuts. Jack had never imagined that such a thing existed, and he thought it was awesome. Cooking is such a rewarding labor of love for someone else — I just love it!

Labels: , ,


 

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

self

archives

what I read

where I go