6.05.2006
Only in Dreams
I sometimes have strange, vivid dreams that I remember when I wake up. It's fun to entertain Jack with tales of my bizarre dreams, and he entertains me with his when he remembers them. I can't remember a time, though, when I've had them so regularly; I've been waking up every morning for the past week and a half with clear memories of wacky things I dreamt, and I figured I might as well start writing them down.
The most memorable one thus far happened sometime last week, and it involved my being in a huge museum-like house with dark wood floors and several levels to explore. There was a side plot about my grandmother (Mimi) being on drugs, which is fairly odd in itself, and she was out with a group of her friends and one of them almost overdosed. The main event, though, was that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was working on a musicology paper and needed my help with his research, so I was discussing formatting and various resources with him in this enormous house as if it were perfectly normal.
I had a dream Saturday night/Sunday morning in which I was part of the universe of Babylon 5, my favorite sci-fi show, though I no longer remember exactly what happened or what I did. I also had a Gilmore Girls dream sometime last week, though, again, I've now lost track of the details. I should have started writing these down sooner.
In last night's dream, my mom and I were moving to the Middle East, and when we first got there in the evening, I wanted to go for a jog since I was in Asia for the first time -- this is funny because I don't jog, but I do get an adrenaline rush when I go someplace new on vacation, even if everyone else I'm traveling with just wants to take a nap. I started to go jogging, but then Mom beckoned me inside, where I discovered that we didn't have power yet and she didn't know when it would be turned on. We were sort of haphazardly unpacking, when suddenly, Celia was there, and she was playing with a bug that was crawling around. The dream turned dark when Celia gobbled up the bug, because it turned out to be some kind of poisonous spider that she spit out after it bit her, and she ended up convulsing and dying right there on the floor. I was horrified and crying in the dream, but then I woke up to find peaceful, sleeping Celia on the bed next to me. Nothing compares to the relief of finding out that something horrible from a dream never really happened, though it's often balanced by the dark reality that a person who came back to life in a dream is still dead in reality. I've had both of those experiences a lot in the past few years.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted if I continue to dream these bizarre things. My theory is that my life has been so boring in the last few weeks that my subconscious is going nuts. I don't know if subconsciouses actually do that, but it's just a working hypothesis.
The most memorable one thus far happened sometime last week, and it involved my being in a huge museum-like house with dark wood floors and several levels to explore. There was a side plot about my grandmother (Mimi) being on drugs, which is fairly odd in itself, and she was out with a group of her friends and one of them almost overdosed. The main event, though, was that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was working on a musicology paper and needed my help with his research, so I was discussing formatting and various resources with him in this enormous house as if it were perfectly normal.
I had a dream Saturday night/Sunday morning in which I was part of the universe of Babylon 5, my favorite sci-fi show, though I no longer remember exactly what happened or what I did. I also had a Gilmore Girls dream sometime last week, though, again, I've now lost track of the details. I should have started writing these down sooner.
In last night's dream, my mom and I were moving to the Middle East, and when we first got there in the evening, I wanted to go for a jog since I was in Asia for the first time -- this is funny because I don't jog, but I do get an adrenaline rush when I go someplace new on vacation, even if everyone else I'm traveling with just wants to take a nap. I started to go jogging, but then Mom beckoned me inside, where I discovered that we didn't have power yet and she didn't know when it would be turned on. We were sort of haphazardly unpacking, when suddenly, Celia was there, and she was playing with a bug that was crawling around. The dream turned dark when Celia gobbled up the bug, because it turned out to be some kind of poisonous spider that she spit out after it bit her, and she ended up convulsing and dying right there on the floor. I was horrified and crying in the dream, but then I woke up to find peaceful, sleeping Celia on the bed next to me. Nothing compares to the relief of finding out that something horrible from a dream never really happened, though it's often balanced by the dark reality that a person who came back to life in a dream is still dead in reality. I've had both of those experiences a lot in the past few years.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted if I continue to dream these bizarre things. My theory is that my life has been so boring in the last few weeks that my subconscious is going nuts. I don't know if subconsciouses actually do that, but it's just a working hypothesis.
Labels: dreaming
Comments:
Hi Erica! Those are some crazy dreams! My stepdad analyzes dreams as part of his psychotherapy practice and just thought I would tell you what some common things in dreams symbolize (according to my stepdad and Carl Jung)...Houses represent the Self and cats represent a woman's fear or anxiety about having or raising children..of course it also may mean that Celia licked you while you were asleep so you started dreaming about her ;). Just some fun info for ya! --Heather
Post a Comment
<< Home

