3.23.2007

 

Down but not out

I'm fighting some kind of weird coughy/achey/dizzy thing, so I haven't been feeling so hot in the past couple of days. I thought it was allergies at first, but it hasn't spread to my nose, just my throat (and I guess my lungs). I feel like someone with a cough who's also been recently hit by a bus.

Oddly, I still feel like cooking, so I have a pot of tomato sauce simmering on the stove in preparation for tonight's dinner, eggplant parmesan. I even got a good fresh baguette for us to crunch on and mop up sauce with, and I'm going to make a plum tart for dessert with some plums we've been meaning to use up. I burned my tongue a minute ago while tasting the sauce, but it's so worth it to make my own that I don't really mind. I've thought about getting a pressure cooker so that I could make big batches of stuff like tomato sauce or preserves and then can them, but I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it, and a pressure cooker would take up a lot of space in a cabinet. It'll go on the Sometime List, I think.

We have a partially-assembled changing table in our living room, because Jack got started on it last night but then didn't quite finish before trudging off to bed (I selfishly went to bed early and didn't help him because my crud had wiped me out for the evening). The combination of his needing to check regularly on the fantasy baseball draft (please, will it be over soon??), coupled with his frustration with poorly-written assembly directions, precluded finishing the job, but I'm hoping he'll do it tonight before or after yummy eggplant parm.

It's been sunny and close to 80 degrees most days this week. I love March in Louisiana. This is the prime time of year for people to visit here, I think, because they get sucked in like I did when I came for my grad school visit. I was coming from cold, windy Philly to a sunny, beautiful Southern climate... I didn't stand a chance. =) Summers have become tolerable, but the milder heat of the spring is really quite nice. It makes me want to eat outside whenever possible.

Labels: , , ,


 

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

self

archives

what I read

where I go