12.10.2007

 

Kent Gains Some Independence

For the first time last night, Kent slept in his room instead of in the playard right next to my side of the bed. I missed him, but at the same time, I slept so well, because I wasn't worried that every little noise I made would wake him up. Since he got way into teething a couple of weeks ago, he's become quite the light sleeper, so Jack and I vowed while we were out of town this past weekend that we'd put him in his own room when we got home and see how it went.

It went well. We put him down at 10, and when I woke up at 4 and realized I hadn't heard anything from him, I worried briefly until I went to check on him and he was breathing peacefully. He woke up about 45 minutes later, giving himself (and us) almost a full 7 hours. That's the best he's slept in weeks.

Part of our bedtime routine that I always do is to go over our day while I'm nursing him to sleep, so I tell him all the things he did and all the people he saw, plus any exciting upcoming events. Last night, after reviewing his big day in which he played with his cousins and then flew home, I told him he was going to be a big boy and sleep in his own room. I think he must have thought that it was a good idea, given how he slept. We'll see whether this trend continues or whether we're back to 2-hour stretches (or 1-hour stretches, like Friday night, which totally sucked).

When Jack and I were falling asleep on our own last night, able to use our regular voices instead of hushed whispers, I told him I was a little sad about Kent's growing up and sleeping on his own and that I'm going to be an emotional wreck when Kent goes off to school.

He's not even quite crawling yet, but he's already getting his little wings.

Labels:


 

Comments:

Yeah for you guys getting to sleep! I can only imagine the happy/sad feeling that goes along with that. Hugs and hugs!
 
I'm catching up on my regular blogs, as you can tell! :-) Little Kent is growing up so fast!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

self

archives

what I read

where I go