1.09.2010

 

Eats

I made Beef Stroganoff in the crock pot last weekend, totally for myself since I knew Kent wouldn't like the flavor and Jack wouldn't like the fact that it had, you know, beef. The smell was taunting me all day, and it turned out to be amazing. Creamy, rich, and delicious — plus I like pretty much anything that has wine and mushrooms in it. I had it over twisty noodles, served on my favorite plate.

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff (from Crockery Cookery, this great cookbook from the 70s that my mom gave me)

1.5 to 2 pounds round steak (or flank, skirt, etc.)
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, sliced
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp dry white wine (I added a little more because I like wine)
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup flour
1 cup sour cream

Cut steak into 1/4-inch strips, then coat with salt and pepper. Add steak and onion slices to crock pot. In a small bowl, mix together garlic salt, Worchestershire sauce, beef broth, and ketchup, then pour mixture over meat and stir to coat. Cover, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until tender.

Turn control to high. Add wine and mushrooms. Dissolve flour in a small amount of water, then add to meat mixture, stirring until blended. Cook on high for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in sour cream; turn off heat. Serve with rice or noodles. Makes 5 to 6 servings (so I halved it for just me, and I had plenty of leftovers).

***

Today, Kent and I are kicking back with smoothies (Target had blueberries on sale!) and Toy Story 2. Smoothies for us are usually just vanilla yogurt, a bit of juice, and assorted fruit, occasionally with wheat germ added, but I sometimes feel like I ought to put some sort of protein powder or wheat grass in there or something. Any recommendations?

My lunch yesterday, which I plan to replicate today, was homemade pesto chicken salad, avocado, and fresh spinach on a toasted pesto bagel, with potato chips, a pickle, and a tall glass of milk. I have a weakness for bagels, and I've realized lately that rotisserie chickens from the grocery store are about the best thing ever. It makes a mean chicken salad. Sunny days usually make me want to eat things like blueberries and avocados. Strawberry season is just around the corner here; I can't wait to hit the farmers market tomorrow and see what we can find, even if it's just root vegetables. We haven't been to the market in so long that I think the Eat Local Fairy is probably cross with us.

Labels: ,


 

Comments:

Gosh, I wished I lived closer. I'd eat at your house a lot. All of that sounded so good at 4:40PM on another insane day. I am looking forward to taking Monday off and MAYBE going for a moto ride tomorrow. I need it. Wouldn't it be cool if I got lost and found myself in Red Stick, just at lunch time?
[the word is 'phone' - how quaint!]
 
I am so making that beef stroganoff. I have a small crock pot that I used once to make chili. The recipe seems so easy, thanks!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

self

archives

what I read

where I go